Your Word ( דְבָרֶךָ )
Studies and devotional thoughts drawn from the original languages of Scripture
I am an aspiring student of the Biblical languages. Here, I seek to share insights drawn from the wealth of Scripture, gleaned from those studies. For now, posts will focus mainly on the Old Testament scriptures, as I am focused on learning Biblical Hebrew. May the Word of God today be a lamp to your feet, and a light on your path.
christopher .AT. librehacker .DOT. com
Displaying Hebrew in Gemini Clients
All Hebrew text in this gemlog should be UTF-8 encoded, which is supported by all Gemini clients according to the protocol standard. However, various clients do a better or worse job of displaying Hebrew, depending mainly on what font is being used, and the system used for displaying the font. Some fonts do not display the Hebrew characters at all, or sometimes the program will display them from left to right rather than the correct right to left.
If this proves to be an issue for you, one solution might be to choose a client which allows you to choose any font, and then install and select the Noto font system.
Google Noto Fonts
By popular request, I have been trying to include English transliterations of the Hebrew words, at least for single-word references in the main body of the post. In some of my earlier posts, I used a modified version of Mansoor's transliteration system. Starting in August 2023, I have begun using the transliterations given in BHRG §4.1 and §5.1.
All the content of this "Your Word" gemlog are released under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs license (CC BY-NC-ND).
View License Deed
View Legal Code
2023-08-23 Men Should Not Wear Dresses
2023-08-06 Isaiah 1:1-3: Israel's Rebellion Against ʏʜᴡʜ
2023-07-05 Genesis 9:1-7: God's Blessing on Noah's Family
2023-05-17 Noah Sacrifices to ʏʜᴡʜ (Genesis 8:20-21)
2023-04-23 Genesis 8:14-19: Stepping Out of the Ark
2023-01-21 Psalm 19:12-14: In Your Presence
2022-12-17 Psalm 19:10-11: Better than Gold
2022-12-10 Psalm 19:9: Enduring Truth
2022-11-30 Psalm 19:8: Instructions and Commandments
2022-11-25 Psalm 19:7: Law and Testimony
2022-10-16 Psalm 19:1-6: The Heavens Make Known His Glory
2022-08-30 Star Log 2022-08-30 3:00 AKDT (Fairbanks, AK, US)
2022-07-07 Genesis 3:7-9: Where Are You?
2022-05-20 Genesis 3:1: The Cunning Snake
2022-05-03 Genesis 2:18-24: Notes on the Creation of Woman
2022-03-31 Genesis 2:4-15: God's Original Plan for Mankind
2022-01-07 Genesis 1:14-18: The Purpose of the Lights of Heaven
2021-12-04 The Craftsman's Delight
2021-10-15 Genesis 1:1: Heaven or Heavens?
2021-10-10 To Create (ברא)
2021-09-29 The Raven and the Dove
2021-09-09 God Remembered Noah
2021-08-01 Jacob Could Not Believe Them
2021-07-09 Joseph Cannot Restrain Himself
- Biblical Hebrew Step by Step, Second Ed., Vol. 1, Menahem Mansoor, ISBN 0801060419
- Biblical Hebrew Step by Step, Third Ed., Vol. 2, Menahem Mansoor, ISBN 0801061512
- Key to Biblical Hebrew Step by Step, Third Ed., Vol. 2, Menahem Mansoor, ISBN 0081061822
- The Analytical Hebrew and Chaldee Lexicon, Benjamin Davidson, ISBN 031039891
- The Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament, Vols I & II, Koehler & Baumgartner, ISBN 9004124454
- Exposition of the Psalms, H. C. Leupold, ISBN 0801055210
- The Hebrew-English Interlinear ESV Old Testament, ISBN-13 9781433501135
- A Grammar for Biblical Hebrew, C. L. Seow, ISBN 0-687-15683
- Williams' Hebrew Syntax, 3rd Ed., Ronald J. Williams, ISBN-13 978-0-8020-9429-2
- A Biblical Hebrew Reference Grammar, Merwe and Naudé, ISBN-13 978-0-5676-6333-7
- Unformed and Unfilled: A Critique of the Gap Theory, Weston W. Fields, ISBN 0-9641659-0-2
- A Grammar of Biblical Hebrew, Joüon and Muraoka, ISBN-13 978-8-8765-3629-8
- Theological Workbook of the Old Testament; Harris, Archer, and Waltke; ISBN-13 978-0-8024-8649-3
- The Prophet Isaiah, Victor Buksbazen, ISBN-13: 978-0-915540-05-01